Donors of homologous tissue are divided into three main categories:
- heartbeating brain-dead donors (HB), when death has been ascertained on the basis of neurological criteria, even if the patient's heart is still beating;
- non-heart-beating (NHB) multi-tissue donors, in the event of ‘cardiac death', i.e. when the patient's heart has stopped beating;
- iving donors whose tissues are retrieved during surgery.
Tissue donation is the result of close collaboration between the Regional Hospital Coordination system (RHC), the facilities where harvesting takes place and the Treviso Tissue Bank Foundation (TTBF).
Retrieval takes place in the operating theatre of the same hospital where the patient is being looked after, and is performed according to strict protocols.
The following documents are required:
- Declaration of consent to donation
- Patient medical and social report
- Tissue harvest report
- Death certificate in the event of multi-tissue donation
- Legal authorisation to carry out multi-tissue harvesting, if necessary.